The DPM examinations are now online with remote invigilation
Because of the ongoing concern for large gatherings and in order to ensure that examinations scheduled for 2020 can go ahead, FPM has received GMC approval to run our examinations online in 2020. For more information go to COVID-19 and examinations. Scroll down to book on to exams, registration is open until 17:00 on 14 August 2020.
FPM hosts Boyds Training Online for DPM exams
FPM are pleased to be hosting the respected Boyds Training course on the Diploma in Pharmaceutical Medicine. Selected Boyds Training modules will be hosted online by FPM with other modules delivered in the classroom directly from Boyds Training. Find our more here.
Preparing for the Diploma in Pharmaceutical Medicine Exams
Join the informal Q&A session with three members of our Trainees’ Committee who will share their experiences preparing for the Diploma in Pharmaceutical Medicine (DPM) exams, 15 July 10:00-11:00, free to attend. Find our more here.
Achieving a Diploma in Pharmaceutical Medicine (DPM) is a defining moment in the career of any pharmaceutical physician. It affirms their knowledge and expertise in our specialty, and their commitment to enhancing the health of society.
It also opens up the opportunity to become an FPM Member (MFPM) and, ultimately, a Fellow (FFPM), accolades that are held by some of the most exceptional and innovative pharmaceutical physicians in the world.
Certificate in Pharmaceutical Medicine
- You can start with the Certificate in Pharmaceutical Medicine (CPM) and progress on to DPM when you are ready.
DPM Awardees video
What are the benefits of taking the DPM?
Dr Shilpa Govindraj, Dr Ugochukwu Stephanie Igwe, Dr Imran Lodhi and Dr Babatunde Oyesile talk about the benefits of taking the Diploma in Pharmaceutical Medicine.
Registration and fees
- DPM Part 1 exam entry: £375
- DPM Part 2 exam entry: £640
- DPM Part 2 resit exam entry SAQ or CAP: £320
2020 Exams schedule:
|Part 1||Multiple Choice Question (MCQ) paper||Wednesday 16 September 2020||09:00||2.5 hours||Online|
|Part 2||Short Answer Questions (SAQ)||Monday 12 October 2020||09:30||2.5 hours||Online|
|Part 2||Critical Appraisal papers (CAP)||Monday 12 October 2020||14:30||2.5 hours||Online|
Having a solid foundation in the pillars of Pharm Med (RGN, Clin Dev, Clin Pharm, DSS, HMP, SDM) equips you with the core skills required for any role in pharma.
A recent DPM awardee
A pass in the first exam awards a Certificate in Pharmaceutical Medicine (CPM) and is also Part 1 of the Diploma in Pharmaceutical Medicine (DPM). The CPM/DPM Part 1 must be passed before candidates are eligible to sit DPM Part 2.
CPM/DPM Part 1 is a Multiple Choice Question paper (MCQ) of 75 questions, each with five possible answers, all to be completed in 2 hours 30 minutes;
DPM Part 2 consists of a Short Answer Question (SAQ) paper of ten questions all to be completed in 2 hours 30 minutes; and a Critical Appraisal paper (CAP) in which candidates have 2 hours 30 minutes to study a published paper and answer questions on it.
The time allowed for the written exam is sufficient to complete the papers working at a reasonable pace. See our reasonable adjustment policy (pdf) for candidates who may require additional time.
Please refer to the Guidance and regulations for DPM candidates (pdf) for details of changes implemented in 2019, whereby a Part 1 pass is now final leading to an award of CPM and Part 2 candidates who pass one of the papers but fail the other, do not have to retake the paper they passed at the subsequent 3 exam sittings.
- DPM Examination Overview (April 2020 presentation) (722.83 KB)
- Guidance and Regulations: DPM Candidates (313.00 KB)
- Exam Specification: Certificate and Diploma in Pharmaceutical Medicine (384.31 KB)
- Syllabus: Certificate and Diploma in Pharmaceutical Medicine (read this along with the Guidance and Regulations for Candidates) (225.55 KB)
- Reasonable Adjustment Policy (207.13 KB)
- Examination Appeal Procedure (322.98 KB)
- Sample MCQ (163.84 KB)
- Example of a good SAQ answer (from 2019 paper) (136.89 KB)
- DPM Past Exam Papers from the 2017-2019 Part 2 exams (756.50 KB)
- DPM Examination Top Tips for Candidates (343.10 KB)
- Slide Presentation on the Format of the DPM (FPM Education Day 2014) (610.36 KB)
- Slide Presentation on tips for studying for and passing the Critical Appraisal Paper (FPM Education Day 2015) (655.53 KB)