Join the members group    Follow Us

Trainee revalidation

Do I have to change my designated body after I am enrolled on to the PMST programme?

Yes you do. While you are enrolled on the PMST programme and hold a National Training Number (NTN) in pharmaceutical medicine, your designated body will be the Pharmaceutical Medicine Deanery and your Responsible Officer will be Professor Geeta Menon, the Postgraduate Dean for Pharmaceutical Medicine.

How will I revalidate as a pharmaceutical medicine trainee?

You will revalidate through the Annual Review of Competence Progression (ARCP) process. You must fully engage with the PMST programme, which includes achieving the competencies of the PMST curriculum, completing workplace-based assessments and writing your reflections.

Do I have to pay an additional fee to complete my revalidation?

No. You will not be required to pay an additional fee to complete your revalidation.

I undertake a few days of clinical work in the NHS. Does this affect how I revalidate?

No. Your training takes precedence, so your designated body will remain the Pharmaceutical Medicine Deanery and you will continue to revalidate through the ARCP process. However, you will need to declare your NHS post on your annual revalidation self-declaration form, the Form R Part B, as part of your full scope of practise. Your NHS employer will have to complete the Scope of Practise Form, which you must submit with your completed Form R and other ARCP documents.

What happens after I complete the PMST programme?

Professor Menon will submit a revalidation recommendation to the GMC after she receives confirmation from the ARCP panel that you were awarded an Outcome 6 and that there were no concerns about your fitness to practise. You will remain on the Pharmaceutical Medicine Deanery's designated body list until the GMC has approved Professor Menon's recommendation.

Once the GMC has approved the recommendation, your connection to the Pharmaceutical Medicine Deanery as your designated body will be removed and you will have to choose a new designated body if you want to retain your licence to practise. Please use the GMC's online connection tool to find out who your new designated body ought to be.

Where can I find more information about revalidation for trainees?

Please visit the GMC's revalidation webpage for more information about the revalidation process for trainees.

Back to Trainee information